The season is fast nearing an end — for some, much more mercifully than for others — and the WAC is pretty much what we that it was.
Boise State is still the class of the league, Fresno and Nevada follow and the rest pick up the scraps hoping to get bowl eligible.
Here’s how I see things this week:
1. Boise State (10-0, 5-0) — absolutely clobbered Idaho forcing seven turnovers and doing what they wanted, when they wanted to.
2. Nevada (7-3, 6-0) — Remember when the Wolf Pack was 0-3? Yeah, me either. These guys are scary good on offense.
3. Fresno State (6-4, 5-2) — The best running back in the league (sorry, Robert Turbin fans) and will be a solid bowl team. Might get a win at Illinois to close regular season.
4. Idaho (7-4, 4-3) — Welcome back, Vandals. You used to be getting Top 25 votes. Now you’re in danger of losing to Utah State in a couple of weeks.
5. Hawaii (4-6, 2-5) — Don’t look now, but the Warriors are on the verge of getting a bowl berth and saving their dancing-fan coach’s job.
6. Utah State (3-7, 2-4) — Scratch that trip to the Islands from your memories. Three wins means Ags haven’t regressed, right? It might get ugly Friday, though.
7. Louisiana Tech (3-7, 2-4) — Might be the most disappointing team in the WAC. Bulldogs were expected to be a bowl contendor but have fallen on hard times.
8. New Mexico State (3-7, 1-4) — Remember when they scored against Utah State five weeks ago? That was the last time the red Aggies saw the end zone offensively. They’re bad. Really bad.
9. San Jose State (1-8, 0-5) — The Spartans quit on their coach and so he quit on them. Among the worst offenses in the nation.